Kent Island Base Line (1842-1844)

The Kent Island base line was originally measured when triangulation was brought from Fire Island in New York to the Chesapeake Bay and the District of Columbia. It was also used as a basis for the measurement of Chesapeake Bay, and when the Transcontinental Triangulation project was initiated in 1871, the Kent Island base line was already situated near the 39th parallel and was incorporated into the network.

The measurement was supervised by James Ferguson, Assistant of the Coast Survey, and occured between May 3 and June 5, 1844, and was performed by means of iron bars supported by 8-meter boxes. The line was measured just once, and required 1,086 repositionings. The line length was computed to be 8,687.5446 meters, +/- 6.80 cm, reduced to sea level.

By 1888, the southern shore of the island had been washed out and the southern base line station monument was lost.

See also: transcontinental triangulation, Eastern Shore series, Allegheny series


Allegheny series http:/images/bmwiki/arc/kent_island.jpg Eastern Shore series

No.

Station

PID

Monumented

Destroyed

Designation

1

North Base (1844)

HV6156

1947

KENT ISLAND NORTH BASE RESET

2

South Base (1844)

HV6177

1844

Y

KENT IS SOUTH BASE 1844

3

Marriott (1844)

HV7199

1844

MARRIOTT

4

Webb (1846)

JV5810

1896

WEBB

5

Finlay (1844)

JV5442

1844

Y

FINLAY 1844

6

Poole's Island (1844)

JV5354

1844

POOLES ISLAND 1844

7

Swan Point (1842)

JV5152

1848

SWAN POINT 1848

8

Linstid (1844)

JV5231

1844

LINSTID RESET

9

Taylor (1844)

HV6325

1847

TAYLOR RESET