Introduction: DSWIN is free NGS software designed to read NGS .dat files of datasheets and print user selected fields from the datasheets. It is a data mining tool. Generally .dat files containing all the datasheets of a county are downloaded from the NGS Yearly Archives page. The output of DSWIN can be imported into a spreadsheet program for sorting by the various fields and printing.
Source: The NGS PC Software page.
- Start DSWIN, close its disclaimer page, click File, then Disk, then select a .dat file that you downloaded from the NGS.
- To make an output file:
- Click on File, then Save As, type a name for your output file in the File name box, click Save, click DSSELECT, and OK. This initiatiates an output file but does not yet make it.
- In the "Output" box, click "Include Header", "Single Line Only", and generally "Fixed Field".
- In the 3 "Delim" boxes, select the same delimiter, generally the vertical bar.
- Click OK
- Note that ALL REC_DATE shows all the recovery dates including the monumentation date. This is good for finding the oldest marks.
- Note that .dat files can be combined by using the DOS copy command in a DOS window.
copy madison.dat + lincoln.dat + river.dat three.dat
- will combine the .dat files for Madison County, Lincoln County, and River County into a new .dat file called three.dat
Note that .dat files can alternatively be combined with the DSFILES program.