Introduction: DSWIN is free ["NGS"] software designed to read NGS .dat files of ["datasheet"]s and print user selected fields from the datasheets. It is a data mining tool. Generally .dat files containing all the datasheets of a county are downloaded from the NGS Yearly Archives [http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_archive.prl page]. The output of DSWIN can be imported into a spreadsheet program for sorting by the various fields and printing.
Source: The NGS PC Software [http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/pc_prod.shtml page].
- Start DSWIN, close the disclaimer page, click File, then Disk, then select a .dat file that you downloaded from the NGS.
- To initiate an output file:
- Click on File, then Save As, type a name in the File name box, click Save, click DSSELECT, and OK.
- Select the fields you want by clicking them in the "Available" box. A typical set of fields is: PID, DESIGNATION, USGS_QUAD, POS_SRC, MONUMENTATION, ALL REC_DATE.
- In the "Output" box, click "Include Header", "Single Line Only", and generally "Fixed Field". In the 3 "Delim" boxes, select the same delimiter, generally the vertical bar.
- Click OK
- Note that POS_SRC indicates whether the mark is ["adjusted"] or ["scaled"].
- Note that ALL REC_DATE shows all the recovery dates including the monumentation date. This is good for finding the oldest marks.
- Note that .dat files can be combined by using the DOS copy command in a DOS window. Example